Friday, July 29, 2005

DDS 575.63

At the library I wondered round the quiet aisles looking for DDS 575.63. I walked past history, science, biology and then came across evolution where I found what I was looking for. I slid out the relevant volume and opened it slowly, eager to find out what it contained and fearful of what I might come across. I opened the cover to find the usual library stamps. It had last been taken out exactly one month ago. I went to the counter, looked nervously around, and scanned the bar code. Up popped the list of previous owners.

Gareth Bates. I noted down the address and walked over to a table to study the book in more detail. There didn’t seem anything that would obviously answer my questions. What is it I was meant to find? As I flicked further to the back I noticed a small piece of paper wedged into the spine. I tugged at the corner and it came out easily. On it, in spindly hand writing, was the following;

“If you have found this note then it is happening. Come to the Slaughtered Lamb and ask for Nathan. All will be revealed. Destroy this message”

I read over it several times trying to take it all in. Is this really for me? What have I got myself into? None of this makes sense. I got up slowly, trying to will my brain into some kind of normal functions. Leaving the book on the table I wondered gingerly out of the library. On the pavement I looked up and saw The Girl once again, standing on the opposite side of the street looking at me. I went to raise my hand in recognition but a sharp pain to the back of my head startled me. Within moments I am engulfed in darkness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home